Who Do You Say That I Am? - 24th Sunday in Ordinary Time, B


From preachersmagazine.org

Readings: http://www.usccb.org/bible/readings/091618.cfm



Why would I want to be a priest in today’s society?  This is a question I’ve been asked a few times, and indeed, in a society that often doesn’t recognize God’s presence, it seems at least imprudent for me and my brothers to give up our whole lives.  And with everything that’s been revealed in the Church recently, there’s also a lot of anger against priests overall.  It can be just like the first reading from Isaiah, “I gave my back to those who beat me, my cheeks to those who plucked my beard; my face I did not shield from buffets and spitting.”  So why am I doing this?

I think we can even take the question one step further: why would we want to be Catholic in today’s society?  In today’s Gospel, Jesus makes a startling claim, “Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself, take up his cross, and follow me.”  This isn’t exactly a flattering picture of faith; in fact, those on the outside are confused or even outraged at why we would follow the Church’s seemingly harsh and unnatural commandments and submit ourselves to this.  Can the Church really be that good when we’re giving up so much?

But I think these questions can be answered by another question in today’s Gospel, when Jesus asks his apostles, “But who do you say that I am?”  He asks this to all of us; this is the core question of our faith.  All throughout the Gospels, Jesus is revealing himself through preaching and miracles, and eventually his apostles catch on that he is much more than a mere man. So today, Peter answers, “You are the Christ,” and Jesus affirms this.  But then Jesus immediately shows that this journey isn’t easy; in fact, for him, it leads to suffering, rejection, and betrayal.  The Gospel is not meant to be comfortable - it leads to the cross.

The question of “Who do you say that I am?” appears in all of our lives, and I’ve faced it many times and will certainly be reminded of it many times more.  I mentioned last week how I encountered Christ on different retreats I went on in high school.  During these times, I could hear testimonies from retreat leaders about how Christ affected their lives, and then I could enter into prayer myself to converse with the Lord, particularly through the Scriptures.  I also formed great friendships that strengthened my faith; for a couple of years, some friends and I would meet weekly to read the Bible, talk about questions we had, share what was going on in our lives, and pray together.  Through all of this, I began to sense the Lord calling me to consider the possibility of priesthood.

At first, I was very afraid of this; I didn’t want to give up having a wife and children, say the same words every day in Mass, which often appeared boring, and be fully dependent on following a bishop.  Most of all, I was scared of failure, scared of messing up, losing my faith, or falling into scandal.  But the Lord was persistent, and eventually, I found myself being open to the idea of seminary, and I visited Conception Seminary in April of my junior year.  This question was on my mind: is the Lord calling me to enter seminary right after high school, or should I attend a regular college first?  Every time I asked others this question during that seminary visit, the response was always, “If you sense the Lord calling you, don’t be afraid to follow!”  It all culminated in a moment during that following summer, in which, through the hymn, “You are Mine,” I heard the Lord say to me, “Do not be afraid; I am with you, and you are mine.”  I could then say a full yes to the Lord, bringing about tears of joy and peace, and I entered seminary after high school, and here I am now!

So every time I’ve faced doubts and fears, I’ve returned to the question, “Who is Jesus?”  If he is in fact the Son of the living God, has redeemed the world, established his Church, and created me for a purpose, then I have nothing to fear.  What he wants for me will bring my true fulfillment, and I want that as well.  And there’s so much evidence for this: the Church’s vast tradition, the many saints, the miracles that continue to happen, and our own experience of prayer and community.  The first reading from Isaiah continues, “The Lord God is my help, therefore I am not disgraced.  He is near who upholds my right.”  And what Jesus says in the Gospel is that we never carry the cross on our own; we are always with him.

In fact, Jesus draws us together as a community.  One consoling fact about this Gospel passage is that Jesus does not quiz all of the apostles individually about who he is.  Maybe some of them aren’t at the point of declaring Jesus as the Christ, or maybe some have doubts.  But when one member of the community proclaims the truth, all of the members receive grace.  When we come here on Sunday, maybe we all aren’t in the same place when it comes to faith, or maybe it’s just been a rough week and you’re going through some doubts and hurts, but when we come together and proclaim the truth, we pick up our cross with Jesus and follow him into glory.  That’s what I experienced with my friends as we prayed together in high school, and I’m blessed to still have many friends who I know I can trust in and can assist me when I’m hurting. 

Here at the altar is the perfect place to bring all of our questions and sufferings.  And this is something that continues into our week.  If we are called to carry our cross daily, we can daily receive the strength and love we need from the One who is always with us.  We do this in daily prayer, maybe 5-10 minutes a day, and we do so by sharing our faith with each other through conversation and service to our community. 

So why am I becoming a priest, or why are we Catholic?  Because Jesus reveals Himself to all of us as the Son of God, desiring to bring us to His Father in the love of the Holy Spirit.  He is who He says He is, and we are who He says we are – beloved children of the Father.  So we pray, “Jesus, we thank you for being with us, even in our doubts and sufferings.  May we follow you together, knowing that you uphold us and strengthen us through your cross, for you are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” 

Comments