The Return of the Prodigal Son - Henri Nouwen


I've been able to read through The Return of the Prodigal Son by Henri Nouwen over the past couple of weeks, bringing the book to my holy hours.  I've heard a lot about the book in these past seven years, so being able to finally read it was a beautiful opportunity.

Nouwen focuses on the famous painting by Rembrandt, meditating on its different features and how it relates to his own life.  The progression of the book is beautiful, beginning with the younger son (noticing how often we can "run away" from our spiritual home in God) and continuing with the elder son (because we can even be lost while at home, not recognizing our true identity and blessings).  However, Nouwen observes that in the Christian life, we don't need to just settle with being like the sons; rather, we are called to grow in the compassion of the father, to become spiritually mature in welcoming others back home.  I found this very striking for myself, having become a deacon and preparing to be a spiritual father.  It is very beautiful to join the Father in His compassion and generosity, but I know how easy it is to become self-seeking and focused on my own self.  

I had an image come to mind during prayer of being alongside the Father in the painting, one hand outstretched to welcome the son back into love and the other arm over the Father's shoulders.  Likewise, one of the Father's hands is outstretched, while the other is on my back (like a huddle).  This is the place of communion with the Father, from which I can live and serve.  It was a beautiful reminder of how I can cooperate with God in ministry and love as I strive to lead others toward Christ and welcome them in mercy.

Overall, I highly recommend the book to anyone.  Nouwen writes in a beautiful and simple way, utilizing examples from his own life and humbly sharing how he has grown.  

Now I wonder whether I have sufficiently realized that during all this time God has been trying to find me, to know me, and to love me.  The question is not "How am I to find God?" but "How am I to let myself be found by him?"  The question is not "How am I to know God?" but "How am I to let myself be known by God?"  And, finally, the question is not "How am I to love God?" but "How am I to let myself be loved by God?"  God is looking into the distance for me, trying to find me, and longing to bring me home. . . . I am beginning now to see how radically the character of my spiritual journey will change when I no longer think of God as hiding out and making it as difficult as possible for me to find him, but, instead, as the one who is looking for me while I am doing the hiding.  When I look through God's eyes at my lost self and discover God's joy at my coming home, then my life may become less anguished and more trusting. 
(Pages 106-107)

Comments