Joseph's Journey

As we approach the celebration of Christmas, the Church aids us in reflecting on the mystery of the Nativity, the coming of the Word Made Flesh in Jesus Christ.  Reflection on this historical event is not just remembering the past but making it present in our own lives right now.  A piece of advice I received from my spiritual director is to meditate on the characters in the nativity story, placing myself in the place of those who experienced Jesus’s coming firsthand. 

One person I have reflected on over the past couple of years is Joseph.  Not much is really known about him; in fact, he never says a word in the Gospels!  What he does show, however, is that he is a man of action, justice, and wisdom, listening for God’s Word and acting on it. 
 
Think about the confusion that would have reigned after Joseph learned that Mary was having a child.  In any other situation, Mary would have been stoned to death for having a child out of marriage.  Joseph must have felt confused, anxious, and doubtful as he wondered what he was to do in this situation.  His decision to “divorce Mary quietly” would have been an attempt to protect Mary from persecution, a just act that would allow her to live peacefully.  However, when the angel came to Joseph, he was immediately willing to act with clarity on what God desired.  (Matthew 1:18-25)
 
I also find much food for thought in Joseph’s journey to Bethlehem and desperate search for shelter.  Can we imagine having to travel eighty miles, only to discover that there is no place to stay when Mary is about to give birth?  One time when I prayed with this event, I placed myself in Joseph’s position and considered the distress, frustration, and anxiety he would have naturally experienced.  How often I feel the same way when I face obstacles or setbacks!  However, in my prayer as Joseph, I envisioned Mary simply looking at me calmly and peacefully saying, “Joseph, I trust you.”  I realized how much God entrusts me with, knowing my strengths and weaknesses, and I am thankful that it is only by His love that I can follow Him. (Luke 2:1-7)
 
Finally, Joseph holds special significance for me as I prepare for the priesthood.  Joseph was the “chaste lover” of the Virgin Mary and the “foster father” of Jesus.  His love for Mary was pure, complete, and self-giving, and I think about how the priest is called to be a “chaste lover” for the Church.  In this way, celibacy is not a burden but a gift, allowing the priest to be a spiritual father for so many, giving his life in complete love.
 
St. Joseph, pray for us as we enter into this holy season!

Comments